Follow us on YOUTUBE – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN116uPImjs
You are told to write in the ACTIVE VOICE, but how do you do it?
EASY! Make the subject of your sentence perform the verb’s action!
Sam throws the ball.
- SAM is the subject of the sentence.
- SAM is the one throwing the ball. The verb’s action = throws.
- Be sure that the subject is performing the action of the verb.
Now look at a passive PASSIVE VOICE sentence.
The ball was thrown by Sam.
- The ball did not perform the verb’s action.
- To write in the ACTIVE voice always have your subject doing the action.
ACT: We drove the race car. PASS: The race car was driven by us.
ACT: Slim plays the guitar. PASS: The guitar is played by Slim.
ACT: Carmen sings a ballad. PASS: The ballad was sung by Carmen.
To practice ACTIVE vs PASSIVE VOICE go to Free grammar games at